In the midst of the excitement of kicking off a new school year (which we are looking forward to celebrating with you all this Sunday!), our hearts are breaking as we see the tragic events unfolding in Afghanistan
. As a church, we are committed to living on mission by delivering GOOD NEWS in the name of Jesus locally, nationally and internationally. Times of crisis are important opportunities to serve people in need, and we are mobilizing to help those affected by the Taliban takeover in Afghanistan
Refugees have already begun to arrive in the Houston area, and we want to provide support for the several hundred more who will be coming soon
. We are working with Gospel-centered organizations to not only help meet immediate physical needs, but to provide relational, spiritual, and emotional support as well. If you are feeling led to help, we would like to invite you to participate in the following possibilities.
Personal Care Kit (in a clear plastic bin labeled on top and sides ~ $80)
- PRAY!! - We believe that prayer changes things, and there are thousands of people in desperate need of covering. Pray for those stuck in the country. Pray for the believers whose lives are now in danger. Pray for the Gospel to somehow spread through the chaos. Pray for the Church to rise up around the world to show the love of Jesus in practical ways. Pray as you are led. It's a good investment of your time!
- Make a Financial Donation (any amount) - We are partnering with Links International to provide support for a local church in our area that is engaged with welcoming Afghan refugees as well as several organizations that are on the front lines. Your donation will build capacity and provide what's needed for the influx of refugees heading our way. This will make a huge difference! Donate here: https://www.linksintlusa.org/emergency.
- Provide Welcome Kit Supplies - we will be collecting welcome kit supplies every Sunday through the end of September at Jane Long. These welcome kits will go straight to those settling into the area. You are encouraged to write a hand-written, unsealed note to welcome the family. Please tape the lids of liquid bottles, and please only provide new items. The following kits are the most needed right now. Other kits are needed as well and can be found here: https://www.houstonwelcomesrefugees.com/welcome-kit-list.
Kitchen Kit (in a clear plastic bin labeled on top and sides ~ $175)
- Toothbrush (4)
- Toothpaste (2)
- Shampoo (2)
- Conditioner (1)
- Deodorant (4 men's, 4 women's)
- Bars of soap (3)
- Razors (4)
- Shaving cream (2)
- Feminine hygiene pads
- Baby lotion
- Notepad & pens
- Tea kettle (safe for stovetop)
- Plastic mixing bowls (2-3)
- Chef's knife (8 in)
- Paring knife (4 in)
- Cutting board
- Can opener
- Plastic Tupperware (small set)
- Dish towels (2)
- Hand Soap (dispenser)
- Trash Can (11-13 gallon)
- Purchase additional items online from the Houston Welcomes Refugees Amazon wish list (between $10-$50/item) : https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/2FVSEMCJ7LADS?ref_=wl_share
- Volunteer to join welcome teams, move-in teams, or become an advocate by sharing this information with your workplaces or communities. Houston Welcomes Refugees has orientations for volunteers on a regular basis. This is your starting place. Click here to RSVP for an online orientation later this week: https://www.flipcause.com/secure/cause_pdetails/NjczMTc=.
In addition to these opportunities, we will be sowing some of our mission budget into this cause
that is both an international and local opportunity to LIVE ON MISSION. Your regular giving to Renaissance positions us to make a difference in our world
Thank you for your faithfulness. Thank you for loving your (global) neighbor as yourself. Please let us know (reply to this email) if you have any questions or need any additional information.
Contact us here
if you have any further questions or need more information.